Saturday, December 12, 2009

Volunteer Opportunities


It's a cold dreary Saturday that makes it very hard to climb out of my warm bed. But, this morning I had motivation! I was in the Battlefield Mall parking lot (with a primo parking spot) at 7:45 this morning headed in to wrap gifts for the DCO (Developmental Center of the Ozarks). The marketing coordinator, Denise, co-teaches the 12th grade girl's Sunday School class with me so I thought it would be fun to volunteer for a five hour shift making gifts look pretty while making money for the center. What great fun it was to work with such beautiful papers, handmade bows (made at the center), spools and spools of ribbon, double sided tape (industrial strength) and some good company of gals that I had already known and some that I had just met there. The time went by very fast.

Then right afterwards Denise and I walked down to another entrance of the mall to meet our Sunday School class gals to ring the Salvation Army bell for an hour. It was raining off and on and a little windy but we had a fun time doing it. We sang a few corky songs (well, I was backup) and tried to tell everyone who entered Merry Christmas. It is sad to say that there were some grumpy shoppers out there but for the most part everyone gave a Merry Christmas back at us. We even saw some bills go into the pot.

3 comments:

  1. What a busy lil volunteer you are my friend! I've been keeping myself busy (FOR HOURS) trying to proof/edit Senior pics that my sister took and wanted me to help her with. SIGH. Such tedious work-especially since they weren't in raw but jpeg form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Paula. Sometimes it's good during the hustle bustle of the season to get out and think about others, instead of all that needs to get done at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Paula, Way to show the TRUE meaning of Christmas: Giving Back to others! You are the Best example of a Life spent Making Others Happy! Love ya,

    ReplyDelete

So glad that you hopped through the lilypad! Have a blessed day!